The other day, I began to wonder how much time Facebook consumes young people's lives. According to one article, 2.6 Billion minutes is spent on Facebook in a day. The average time spent on google is now less than that on Facebook...
Is the "ultimate" social networking utility really worth it? This is definitely worth thinking about considering if you don't have a facebook account, you probably know someone who does. Teens, to the bulk of older facebook users (70%) who are not in college consume so much of their precious time downloading pictures, updating statuses, making friends who aren't really on a friend-basis, collecting bumper stickers, and poking others. What happened to reading books?
This reminds me - my dad once asked me about my " myface" account. I couldn't help but laugh at the dinner table.
If older people really know how much time kids use up to "socialize" on Facebook, they may be disappointed. It's a shame, one could be taking a walk, learning something new, and really making friends ( the face-to-face, old fashioned way) with the time spent online.
Article URL
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/12/18/facebook-is-gaining-ground-on-google-in-time-spent-on-the-internet/
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with you. This is one reason why I try to avoid going to Facebook that much. I usually end up spending about an hour or so whenever I do log in. Most of my friends complain about the fact that I don't use Facebook as much, but that is only because it consumes so much of my time. I usually just go once in a while when I don't have anything else to do. However, I do think that it is a great way to communicate with pretty much everyone that you know.
ReplyDelete