Monday, March 2, 2009
Observation 2: Disrupting a space
When I observed the pit area, the Relay club table and people sitting along the stairs, I thought I maybe I could break the norm of maintaining a certain distance to others in a specific activity. Namely, I would walk "too close" to the booths, stare at their activity, but not show interest. I thought I might excite some weird glances my way. Sure enough, today, when I went to the pit, I neared a booth where people where standing on tins in some game. I broke into their "bubble" or space where they feel comfortable together in the activity. As soon as I neared, people became less at ease, since I was intruding. A girl looked at me when I stood pretty close to their game, seeing that I was just blankly looking at the booth. Her partner also glanced over. I felt like I was ruining their fun, and amused, I stepped back. As soon as I was a few feet from the activity, they resumed their original state of being amused. I found this pretty funny. If anyone walking by glanced too long at the activity, it would seem awkward, since they were participants in the group.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment